A garage conversion is a very effective way of obtaining additional space in your home.
If, like most people, your integral garage is typically a space that is not quite large enough for a car, and which is full of old toys and gardening equipment, you could already have the perfect solution for extending your home.
At Block Architects we are proud to say that domestic alterations are our speciality. For many years we have assisted many local builders and home owners with garage conversions, which have then been used as bedrooms, study places, games rooms, en-suite bedrooms, bathrooms… the only limit is your imagination.
There are several key factors that one needs to consider when approaching garage conversion:
- Floors, walls and ceilings that are exposed to an external surface will require to have insulation upgraded.
- It is always best to level the floor with that of the remainder of the ground floor of your house.
- Sometimes the structural lintel over your garage door can be raised to increase glazing area.
- We provide a free initial consultation to discuss your requirements.
- Full design & consultancy service.
Our Top Tips On Garage Conversions
- Most garage conversions don’t require a planning application, and only require a building warrant application. However, this should not be assumed and clarification should be sought from your local planning department.
- Avoid full height glazed openings. Planning departments typically do not like these openings and prefer smaller windows.
- The planning department will class ALL garage conversions as an apartment (bedroom), which may require you to find an additional car parking space on your property.
- Be aware that a garage conversion (single) has a starting price of £5000. Be very suspect of builders offering works for less.
- Block Architects (where necessary) lodge planning and warrant applications simultaneously. Allow for 2-3months to get all approvals in place.
To discuss your garage conversion in more detail, please contact us.